It's Autumn and Thanksgiving is upon us. There are certain things that I miss having for the Holidays as a Vegan. Cornbread is one of them. This recipe I have seen in various fashions on the internet and here is yet another...
- 1/4 c. sugar (or sugar equivalent)
- 1 tsp. vanilla (better if you choose to forgo the herbs)
- 1 tsp. sea salt
- 1 c. flour
- 1 c. cornmeal
- 4 tsp. baking powder
- 2 Tbsp. flax seed meal
- 7 Tbsp. water
- 1/4 c. sunflower oil (or Coconut Oil)
- 1 c. almond milk (or some other type of vegan milk)
- 1/2 diced medium onion
- 2 large garlic clove, minced (a little garlic powder can be nice as well)
- 4 Tbsp. of a mixture of fresh herbs (rosemary, thyme, margoram, chives)
- Variations: ditch the herbs and do a Southwestern variety - 2 tsp. chili powder, 2 tsp. onion powder, 1/2 c. cilantro, 1/4-1/2 c. green chilies and 1/2 c. corn kernels. Or go for the Regular Cornbread variety - & omit the garlic, and herbs from the Thanksgiving Vegan Cornbread ingredients.
oil a square baking pan.
In a bowl combine the sugar, vanilla, salt, flour, cornmeal & baking powder.
Add Oil & "milk" and mix thoroughly
mix flax seed meal and water in a small pot and make flax egg. Add flax egg to bowl.
stir in onions, garlic and herbs
Pour into the baking dish
...and cook about 25 mins. at 350F
Take out of the oven when bread is golden brown and the toothpick comes out dry (from inserting it in the center of the bread).
Serve it with a Hearty Chili or White bean Soup,
...or next to a yummy salad or a huge plate of cooked veggies!