COCONUT CREAMY GREENS
This wonderfully comforting dish, goes well with Avocado Roti and Curried Potatoes.
1. Enough olive oil to cook the ingredients (different strokes…I use VERY little)
2. ½ -1 large onion chopped
3. 1-2 garlic cloves (optional if your diet does not call for garlic)
4. 2 inch sections of fresh ginger (if you cannot get fresh, ½ tsp. of powder would be fine)
5. 2 tsp freshly crushed cumin seeds or cumin powder
6. 2 tsp garam masala or more to taste
7. ½ tsp turmeric & 1 tsp fresh grated turmeric - I like turmeric, you may want less!
8. 1 lb of spinach chopped or whole
9. 1 large tomato chopped (you can use a little more if you like)
10. 1-2 T maple syrup
11. Coconut cream to your taste to make it creamy
12. A few shakes of cayenne pepper to taste (I love cayenne pepper!)
13. Salt to taste
Chop the onions, garlic, turmeric, ginger and tomatoes. Throw them into a lightly oiled pan and let them cook. If you prefer to go oil-less, you can put a small amount of water in the bottom of the pan instead of oil. I like to place the onions and then garlic in first.
Wash spinach and chop, unless you are a lazy cook, like myself sometimes. If that sounds like you, then throw those into the pan on top of the previous mixture.
Cover the entire mixture and let it stem down the greens (1-2 mins).
Add in the remaining spices.
At this point, if I took the lazy route, I use a knife and fork and cut the spinach in the pan...don't judge...!
Some of you know what I mean...The options here tonight were eat or not eat...! I did pretty well!